Monday, July 28, 2008

Datarock Interview

Drop Magazine was lucky enough to get an interview with Datarock. The Norwegian duo's character does not fall short of their music. While waiting for the interview I was able to sit in on their sound check, getting ready for their performance that night at the Bowery Ballroom. The large space was empty so there were no bodies to absorb any of the sound before it reached me. The sound of the bass drum made me feel as if my heart was going to beat of my chest at any moment. One would think that music that makes your heart feel as if it has just run a marathon can't be healthy, but there's nothing better than the endorphin rush it gives you. Hearing songs that have come across my iPod so many times, being played live before me was amazing, I had to try and refrain from making a fool of myself by singing along.

When I entered the Bowery Ballroom and the band fund out I can all the way from Vermont to interview them, they adorably played some "smooth jazz" to welcome me. I was able to see just how much goes into their music, even after two days with little to no sleep. There is so much more to it than you could ever gather from just listening to their tracks. They're all very well versed in all areas of music, everything from "smooth jazz" to the "information rock" that is Datarock today, at one point lead singer Fredrick even jumped on drums for a moment.

Fredrick and Kjetil composed all of their music, and arrange the various parts. The musicianship of these two and and their band was incredible.

Our interview was conducted on the streets of New York outside the Bowery Ballroom. Many of Drop Magazine's interviews seem to be conducted out on the streets, now that I think about it. Surprisingly this interview had far less background noise and interruptions then the ones on the streets of Brattleboro, Vermont. During the interview I heard many interesting stories, much like a Ray Bradbury book this interview seemed to weave in and out of reality, everything from how they met to the long lasting Norway, Sweden tension. We found out that 'Computer Camp Love' isn't a work of fiction, and that the best time for music was 1976 - '83. These two MENSA members tell tales you've never heard the likes of before. Amusing and well spoken, listening to this interview you will learn a lot and by the end you'll want to hear more.

Datarock Interview
Datarock (myspace)

No comments: