Sunday, December 14, 2008

Fables



Rising from the ashes of Bolt Action Five, Fables has a new and joselating sound, completely independent from the old one. No matter where you are or what you're doing, you'll have an urge to dance. With plenty of synth hooks and memorable lyrics you'll find your self singing along loudly, when they come across your play list. "Bright City" a fable within a song is a personal favorite. If you're lucky enough to live within 200 miles of one of their shows, drop what you're doing and go.

-How did you come up with the name 'Fables'
Ian - When we first started the band there were about twelve of us. We argued for about a month, and went through a million different band members, and at some point this was the only name any of us could even slightly agree upon.
Tobias - Anyway, FABLES fits. The songs form part of a collective story - if you arrange them in the right order they make some sort of sense. We're still writing episodes...
-If you have been in other bands, how did your time in that/those other bands influence the music you make today?
Ian - Tobias and I used to be in another band (Bolt Action Five). I guess FABLES grew out of a conversation we had about wanting to make a really big, timeless band, rather than a little, cool one tied to a specific scene. We wanted to do something epic and ambitious.
-Do you think where you grew up had a large impact on the music you make today? Did you grow up in very musically charged homes?
Ian - I didn't. I haven't asked around, but I think Marnie and Grant may have.
Tobias - I didn't. I grew up in Cornwall - the imagery of Cornwall has more of an effect on the music.
-What was your first instrument?
Ian - Bass. I only started playing when I was 16 because being in a band sounded cool.
Tobias - I used to play the organ. I was shit!
-When did you know you were going to be musicians? What did you listen to?
Tobias - I wanted to be a lumberjack. I hate being a musician.
Ian - We're not musicians - we're dream catchers....
-How do you come up with your music? Where do you get your content from?
Tobias - Interpreting modern day events into fairy stories. Mass industry, political movements, lost love, Magic mirrors and the Kraken.
-Any good tour stories?
Ian - We've only played four gigs so far - our fifth is coming up this weekend, so no big tour stories yet! Besides, there's too many of us to fit in the car...
Link
Fables (myspace)
"Bright City" - Fables

No comments: